keskiviikko 7. toukokuuta 2014

Challenge #8: UFOs & PHDs

...use this opportunity to finish off something that's never quite gotten done, or stalled halfway through... http://thedreamstress.com/the-historical-sew-fortnightly-2014/


A 18 th century handkerchief/ fichu



I started sewing this handkerchief  - I'd like to say a few years ago, but the truth is more likely - ten years ago. I can't be totally sure of the fabric, but I think it's cotton-poly blend, at least it feels like poly but not totally. But if it was totally cotton, would it still be hostorically accurate? I had seen these kind of hadkerchiefs or fichus somewhere, most likely in some movie, and when I started to know a little bit more (internet wasn't very helpful at that time...) I started to think that pattern wasn't so historically accurate at all.

When cleaning - again - my sewing "storage" (walk-in wardrobe) I found it (plus about 40 pins attached to it). So I decided to finish it, mainly because I wanted those pins ;-) BUT I also wondered if there was any chance to wear that handkerchief/ fichu....

So the problem was this: all women used somekind of handkerchief or fichu in the 18th century (well, exept with court habit etc). I have seen so many different kinds both in paintings and in museum collections....


Fichu

~1750-1775 Cotton, curved tringle BUT part of the neck cut off and with white work (met) - no ruffle

Fichu

~ mid 18th c Cotton, tringle BUT white work - no ruffle (met)

Fichu

1770's Cotton, ruffle BUT the ruffle is lace not cotton and the size of this is huge (met)

and so on and so on....

then I found this Dorner's painting which would be perfect since it's painted in Russia (or Estonia) so it would be even quite close......

Mikkelin museossa on esillä muotokuvamaalauksia virolaisista yksityiskokoelmista

BUT it's not 18th but 19th century painting (1838) so no luck there either...

Then there are these Mosniers's paintings... the year is perfect (1789), kerchiefs are just like (or close enough) mine... 

BUT they are little BOYS and I am an old WOMAN..... 
and yet, those could be also collars not kerchiefs...

So can find many different kind of cotton handkerchiefs/ kerchiefs/ fichus with ruffles, BUT those ruffles are always lace or embroidered with white work, or they belong to a young boys...  

 the search continues....




What the item is? A handkerchief/ kerchief/ fichu/ halsduk/ halskläde/ kaulahuivi/ kaulaliina

The Challenge: #8 UFOs & PHDs

Fabric: Cotton-poly blend (could be all cotton, but I can't be sure)

Pattern: No that's the problem...

Year: later 18th century

Notions: cotton thread

How historically accurate is it? All hand sewn, cotton (but most likely cotton-poly), BUT the main problem is the pattern - I can't find any example of that kind of fichu, so if you know, please help 

When you started it and when you finished it: I started sewing it about 10 years ago (!) and finished it May 1st 2014 - easy and fast actually, but since I am sure it's not hist. acc. in any way I haven't finished it before

First worn: not yet and nore it will be unless someone gives a proof that there is a even a little chance for hist.accuracy (execpt for that poly part...)

Total cost: not a clue but not much


Meet Baron von Grenzhügel


For modesty sake only his head is seen for now ;-) 
Cotton, cotton thread and poly wadding, hair is 100 % wool yarn, not so much hand sewn...



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti